Business Development Manager, positioned to run the company in 2-4 years (BH 917)
Our client is an EU based, world leader in commercial development of their particular ingredients for food and nutritional supplements.
Position Summary/Why Open?
The President of this business is looking toward retirement within 2-4 years; therefore, he is looking for a strong commercial professional to manage sales throughout the US while concurrently being groomed to step into his role. To start, the position would focus on managing and growing sales in the food/nutrition/nutraceutical space. Within a few years, this person can take over the leadership of the team which consists of 2 Account Managers, 1 Product Manager/QA, 1 Controller and 1 Warehouse Manager.
- Based out of US HQ office in New England
- Will call on both large and small accounts directly, as well as managing distributors throughout the US.
- Travel will average ~ 50% including a few trips each year to European HQ.
Products/Markets: Our client sells unique specialized functional ingredients into food, sports nutrition, general nutrition and some pharma application.
Skills and Experience
- Ten+ years of commercial experience with a proven track record of sales success in the nutrition/nutraceutical space
- Technical degree, or proven technical background
- Excellent business sense/savvy. Should have a deep understanding of commercial strategy and proven history of successful business management.
- While people-management experience is not required, it is highly preferable
- This person must base near the office, as he/she is slated to be move into a senior management role.
- P&L management experience is preferred
- Distributor management experience preferred
Why Should a Candidate Consider this Role?
- Our client has a very interesting product line, but little direct competition.
- Small company, under $50mm, so organization is lean with limited bureaucracy, high visibility. Great opportunity to get out of “big corporate” structure
- This position can be a fast track to running a small well-run organization.
- Current CEO will be there to mentor and guide this person as he/she is groomed for the leadership role and during the transition.
- Lots of opportunity to make a difference. The company is doing very well without any marketing presence to speak of. There is a robust opportunity to grow the business even further with an enhanced marketing effort.
- Stable organization. Core employees have been there 20+ years.